Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different types of air conditioners on the Freeport market. While HVAC technicians can work with most types, knowing which one you have will ease your company research.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name hints, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're preferred for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide quiet operation, improved energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, flexible installation options, and individual room temperature control.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Freeport condos, townhomes, and apartments. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
How to Choose Your Freeport AC Repair Service
You likely want a quick solution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before hiring a repair company, it's important to carefully investigate how well it fits your home's needs. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The New York state government doesn't require HVAC companies to get a state license. However, it's common for local governments to require licenses. You should ask your city offices about what's required where you live.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Read customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits businesses that respond to complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair companies to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different providers for the best value. A good estimate should consider additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about installer guarantees, the emergency repair process, and manufacturer warranties.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Freeport
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Freeport?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How often should Freeport homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
Why is my AC running but not cooling?
Why should I hire an HVAC professional? Couldn't I repair my air conditioner myself?
How many years until I should replace my AC unit?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.