Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Brooklyn
Some typical reasons why Brooklyn homeowners face foundation troubles include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't done properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Brooklyn receives, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction stresses nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be a menace to your foundation's integrity, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that causes your foundation fracturing, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is vital to its stability, so it's important to work with a reliable foundation repair firm. Assess each provider using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
New York's state government doesn't issue contracting licenses, but cities often choose to require them of foundation companies and other builders. For example, New York City requires foundation and excavating contractors to obtain a "Safety Registration Number" with a concrete work endorsement. They also need to register as a general contractor or home improvement contractor. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the details its representatives share. Ask about its inspection processes, local codes, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Another way to measure a company's standing is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade accreditations. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's standing, head to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. BBB comments also show how companies handle complaints. A proactive team that aims to achieve amicable outcomes is a good one. Avoid a contractor if you don't see good communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Brooklyn
The price of foundation repair can range widely based on the severity of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation fracturing and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable damage, the typical cost falls at about $3,000. More involved projects requiring excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,900+. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Brooklyn
How much does foundation repair cost in Brooklyn?
What are the different types of foundations in Brooklyn?
How long does foundation repair usually take?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for cracks, and repair any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.