Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Brookhaven
A few factors can contribute to foundation issues. Here are the most widespread ones for Brookhaven residents:
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Brookhaven gets, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be menacing to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't cover.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't done to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that causes your foundation fracturing, pipes being damaged, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is essential to its stability, so it's important to work with a quality foundation repair provider. Assess each provider using the following factors:
Licensing and Experience
New York's state government doesn't issue contracting licenses, but cities often choose to require them of foundation companies and other builders. For example, New York City requires foundation and excavating contractors to obtain a "Safety Registration Number" with a concrete work endorsement. They also need to register as a general contractor or home improvement contractor. Talk to representatives to gain more insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, permit ordinances and inspection processes.
One of the simplest ways to assess a company's reputation is to find its website. Look for the company's history and the accreditations its team holds. Many leading companies publish educational content for prospective customers.
When you're researching a company's standing, head to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints don't mean a contractor is unreliable. BBB reviews show how the company addressed complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has resolved issues proactively and appropriately. You should steer clear of a company with numerous negative reviews, no certifications, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Brookhaven
The cost of foundation repair can range widely depending on the severity of the issues and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation cracking and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable deterioration, the average cost will likely fall around $2,900. More complex jobs involving digging, helical piers, or concrete leveling could cost $6,900 or more. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Brookhaven
How much does foundation repair cost in Brookhaven?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing drains and sump pumps or using sealants around a cellar. Exterior waterproofing is generally less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and creating physical barriers between your foundation and lawn.
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with Brookhaven foundation repair services?
Will foundation repair disrupt my daily routine while the work's being done?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.