Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different kinds of air conditioners on the Amherst market. While HVAC technicians can work with most types, knowing which one you have will streamline your company search.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer flexible installation options, higher energy efficiency, and individual room temperature control.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide silent operation, improved energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Amherst townhomes, condos, and apartments. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
How to Choose Your Amherst AC Repair Service
You likely want a swift resolution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before hiring a repair company, it's important to carefully investigate how well it fits your home's needs. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The New York state government doesn't require HVAC companies to get a state license. However, it's common for local governments to require licenses. You should ask your city offices about what's required where you live.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Find customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes businesses that respond to complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We recommend getting contacting at least three different companies to find the best cost and services. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about emergency repair availability, manufacturer warranties, permitting fees and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Amherst
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Amherst?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Common Repair||Average Cost|
|Clogged air filter||$85–$205|
|Frozen condenser coils||$285–$1141|
|Fan or air blower issues||$513–$741|