Common Types of Air Conditioners
By understanding which type of air conditioner you have, you'll feel more empowered in your contractor search. South Valley HVAC professionals have experience with different AC makes and models, and they can tailor their skills to your needs.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for South Valley condos, apartments, and townhomes. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They provide peaceful operation, greater energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer flexible installation options, higher energy efficiency, and individual room temperature control.
How to Choose Your South Valley AC Repair Service
With the intense South Valley heat, AC issues are top priority to fix. However, to get the best possible outcome, it's critical to thoroughly research different HVAC companies first. We recommend adhering to these steps as you prepare.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
HVAC companies are mechanical contractors in New Mexico. As such, they must get a license from the state's Regulation and Licensing Department. They might also have to follow supplemental licensing requirements in the cities and counties they serve.
You should also verify a company has sufficient liability coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if mishaps arise during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes contractors that handle complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We recommend getting three or more estimates to find the best value. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about manufacturer warranties, emergency repair availability, installer guarantees and permitting fees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in South Valley
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in South Valley?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How do I know if my air conditioning system needs repair?
How often should South Valley homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
Why is my AC running but not cooling?
How quickly can an HVAC company in South Valley respond to emergency repair requests?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.