Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner varieties, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll explain each of the common AC systems.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're preferred for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They offer silent operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for West New York apartments, townhomes, and condos. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer flexible installation options, higher energy efficiency, and individual room temperature control.
How to Choose Your West New York AC Repair Service
You likely want a swift resolution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before hiring a repair company, it's important to take the time to research if they're ideal for your dwelling. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
AC repair companies in the Garden State need licensure from the New Jersey State Board of Examiners of Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors. Master licenses have experience requirements, which a business owner can fulfill through apprenticeships, a university degree, or a trade school diploma.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Find customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes businesses that resolve complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a business if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We recommend getting at least three different quotes to find the best cost and services. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about manufacturer warranties, permitting fees, emergency repair availability and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in West New York
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in West New York?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How do I know if my air conditioning system needs repair?
What do I do if my AC is running but not cooling?
Why should I hire an HVAC professional? Couldn't I repair my air conditioner myself?
How long is my air conditioner's lifespan? When should I consider a replacement?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.