Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Union City
Some common reasons why Union City homeowners encounter foundation woes include:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Aging plumbing: Union City has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1955. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can harm your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your gutter system doesn't cover.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Union City gets, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction stresses nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't performed properly could lead to your foundation settling.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's structural integrity weighs heavily on its foundation. It's essential to choose the top professionals possible. Focus your research on these features:
Licensing and Experience
New Jersey requires home improvement contractors, including foundation companies, to register with the state's Division of Consumer Affairs. They're also required to apply for a home repair contractor license with the Department of Banking and Insurance, which regulates the financial business of construction work. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through what its representatives say. Inquire about its inspection methods, local building regulations, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
One of the best ways to assess a company's reputation is to explore its website. Look for the company's history and the qualifications its team holds. Many prominent companies provide educational content for prospective customers.
We suggest reviewing the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to see whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have expressed satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. The BBB shows how companies address complaints. A proactive team that aims to achieve excellent outcomes is a good one. Avoid a company if you don't see effective communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Union City
The cost of foundation repair can differ significantly depending on the scale of the issues and what needs to be done to address them. For minor foundation fractures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is substantial deterioration, the average cost will likely fall around $3,500. More complex jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $7,100 or more. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Union City
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Union City?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
When do I need to waterproof my foundation?
- Plumbing leaks
- Discoloration or odors
- Uneven floors
- Hairline cracks
- Mold and mildew
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.