Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different kinds of air conditioners on the Paterson market. While HVAC technicians can work with most types, knowing which one you have will ease your company hunt.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, flexible installation options, and higher energy efficiency.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name hints, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide peaceful operation, improved energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Paterson apartments, townhomes, and condos. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users set up their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
How to Choose Your Paterson AC Repair Service
You likely want a quick solution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before hiring a repair company, it's important to do careful research to ensure it's the best for your home. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
AC repair companies in the Garden State need licensure from the New Jersey State Board of Examiners of Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors. Master licenses have experience requirements, which a business owner can fulfill through apprenticeships, a university degree, or a trade school diploma.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Read customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits businesses that resolve complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We advise getting three or more estimates to find the best value. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about permitting fees, installer guarantees, emergency repair availability and manufacturer warranties.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Paterson
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Paterson?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How do I know if my air conditioning system needs repair?
How often should Paterson homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
When is the best time to replace an AC unit?
What industry certifications should I look for when researching Paterson AC repair companies?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.