Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Newark
Some frequent reasons why Newark homeowners suffer from foundation issues include:
- Aging plumbing: Newark has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1964. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Newark experiences, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can harm your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done properly could result in your foundation settling.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To pick a foundation repair business, you should think about what's most important to you. Use this guide to help you go through the process.
Licensing and Experience
New Jersey requires home improvement contractors, including foundation companies, to register with the state's Division of Consumer Affairs. They're also required to apply for a home repair contractor license with the Department of Banking and Insurance, which regulates the financial business of construction work. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how the company inspects foundations, what local codes apply to your project, and how its team will draft plans and pull permits.
One of the best ways to assess a company's reputation is to go to its website. Look for the company's history and what credentials its team holds. Many top companies provide educational content for future customers.
When you're researching a company's reputation, go to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company handles them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate effectively, you should think twice about working with it.
Lastly, we encourage you to search different websites, including Trustpilot and Google, for other reviews.
Foundation Repair Cost in Newark
The cost of foundation repair can range quite widely based on the scale of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is quite substantial destruction, the average cost will be around $2,800. More intricate jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or major concrete leveling could run you $6,800. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Newark
How much does foundation repair cost in Newark?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing sump pumps and drains or using sealants around a cellar. Outdoor waterproofing is typically less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and forming physical barriers between your foundation and lawn.
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.