Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Jersey City
A few factors can lead to foundation issues. Here are the most prevalent ones for Jersey City residents:
- Aging plumbing: The average Jersey City home construction year is 1973. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Jersey City gets, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can harm your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't reach.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that causes your foundation cracking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To choose a foundation repair company, you should think about what's most important to you. Use this guide to help you go through the process.
Licensing and Experience
New Jersey requires home improvement contractors, including foundation companies, to register with the state's Division of Consumer Affairs. They're also required to apply for a home repair contractor license with the Department of Banking and Insurance, which regulates the financial business of construction work. Talk to representatives to gain additional insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local permit ordinances, inspection processes and building codes.
Another way to evaluate a company's credibility is to look at its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade accreditations. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
We suggest checking the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to determine whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have shared satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Negative feedback doesn't mean a contractor is unreliable. BBB reviews show how the company handled complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has resolved issues proactively and appropriately. You should avoid a company with numerous negative reviews, no credentials, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Jersey City
The price of foundation repair can differ quite significantly based on the extent of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is substantial damage, the normal cost falls at about $3,500. More complex projects requiring digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $7,100+. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Jersey City
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Jersey City?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for signs of damage, and repair any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.