Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Elizabeth
A home in Elizabeth might experience foundation issues for a variety of reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can be menacing to your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't protect.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Elizabeth experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Aging plumbing: Elizabeth has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1959. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that causes your foundation cracking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation repair company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each contractor on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
New Jersey requires home improvement contractors, including foundation companies, to register with the state's Division of Consumer Affairs. They're also required to apply for a home repair contractor license with the Department of Banking and Insurance, which regulates the financial business of construction work. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the details its representatives share. Ask about its inspection processes, local codes, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
One of the simplest ways to assess a company's reputation is to explore its website. Look for the company's years in business and the qualifications its team holds. Many prominent companies provide educational content for future customers.
When you're researching a company's credibility, check out its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company handles them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate well, you should avoid working with it.
Lastly, we encourage you to search different websites, such as Trustpilot and Google, for other reviews.
Foundation Repair Cost in Elizabeth
The price of foundation repair can range widely depending on the degree of the issues and what's required to resolve them. For minor foundation cracking and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant damage, the average cost lands at about $2,700. More complex projects involving digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $6,800. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Elizabeth
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Elizabeth?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
- Uneven floors
- Hairline cracks
- Discoloration or odors
- Mold and mildew
- Plumbing leaks
Do Elizabeth foundation repair companies offer warranties or guarantees?
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.