Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different types of air conditioners on the Elizabeth market. While HVAC professionals can work with most types, knowing which one you have will simplify your company research.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, flexible installation options, and individual room temperature control.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They provide peaceful operation, improved energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Elizabeth apartments, condos, and townhomes. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users set up their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
How to Choose Your Elizabeth AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should do some essential research before committing to a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the best company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
AC repair companies in the Garden State need licensure from the New Jersey State Board of Examiners of Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors. Master licenses have experience requirements, which a business owner can fulfill through apprenticeships, a university degree, or a trade school diploma.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits contractors that respond to complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair companies to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different providers for the best value. A good estimate should consider additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about manufacturer warranties, the emergency repair process, and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Elizabeth
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Elizabeth?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
What are some signs that I should call an HVAC repair company?
Why should I hire an HVAC professional? Couldn't I repair my air conditioner myself?
How many years until I should replace my AC unit?
What industry certifications should I look for when researching Elizabeth AC repair companies?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.