Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner varieties, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll describe each of the common AC types.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer flexible installation options, higher energy efficiency, and individual room temperature control.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Clifton condos, apartments, and townhomes. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They offer quiet operation, improved energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
How to Choose Your Clifton AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should carefully investigate what's out there before committing to a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the best company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
AC repair companies in the Garden State need licensure from the New Jersey State Board of Examiners of Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors. Master licenses have experience requirements, which a business owner can fulfill through apprenticeships, a university degree, or a trade school diploma.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits contractors that resolve complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair companies to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a business if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different companies for the best value. A good estimate should list additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about installer guarantees, the emergency repair process, and manufacturer warranties.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Clifton
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Clifton?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How often should Clifton homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
When is the best time to replace an AC unit?
Why should I hire an HVAC professional? Couldn't I repair my air conditioner myself?
How quickly can an HVAC company in Clifton respond to emergency repair requests?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.