Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Manchester
A home in Manchester might experience foundation issues for a variety of reasons. Some are unique to the local environment, while others are common nationwide. They include:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Manchester experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average Manchester home construction year is 1967. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that causes your foundation cracking, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation repair company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each company on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
New Hampshire doesn't require any home contractors, including foundation repair providers, to get a license. However, cities and counties in the Granite State can still set their own licensing requirements. We encourage you to consult your city hall about what's required where you live. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how its team will draft plans and pull permits, and how the company inspects foundations.
Another way to measure a company's reputation is to examine its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade accreditations. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before selecting a company, review its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Complaints don't mean a contractor is bad news. BBB reviews show how the company handled complaints. It's a good sign if the company has resolved issues favorably and proactively. You should stay away from a company with more negative reviews, no licensure, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Manchester
The price of foundation repair can range widely depending on the extent of the issues and what's needed to resolve them. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is considerable damage, the normal cost falls at about $3,200. More involved projects involving tunneling, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $7,000. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Manchester
How much does foundation repair cost in Manchester?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing drains and sump pumps or using sealants around a basement. Exterior waterproofing is usually less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and forming physical barriers between your foundation and lawn.
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with Manchester foundation repair services?
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.