Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Lincoln
A few factors can lead to foundation issues. These are the most common ones for Lincoln residents:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: Lincoln has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1901. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can threaten your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your drainage system doesn't cover.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that leads to your foundation fracturing, pipes being damaged, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To pick a foundation repair contractor, you should determine what's most important to you. Use this list of attributes to help you navigate the process.
Licensing and Experience
The Nebraska government requires contractors to register with the Department of Labor. Registration shows that a company complies with the state's insurance laws, but it does not constitute licensure. You should contact your city or county to determine if it issues licenses of its own. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how its team will draft plans and pull permits, how the company inspects foundations, and what local codes apply to your project.
Contractor websites are some of the best places to do your research. Typically, a business will display how long it's been operating. It might also upload other content to help interested parties.
We advise looking into the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to determine whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can see whether other homeowners have shared satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company responds to them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate effectively, you should think twice about working with it.
Lastly, we encourage you to search other platforms, including Trustpilot and Google, for additional feedback.
Foundation Repair Cost in Lincoln
The cost of foundation repair can range quite widely based on the scale of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation fracturing and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable destruction, the typical cost will be around $2,600. More intricate jobs involving digging, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $6,800. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Lincoln
How much does foundation repair cost in Lincoln?
What are the different types of foundations in Lincoln?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing drains and sump pumps or using sealants around a basement. Exterior waterproofing is generally less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and forming physical barriers between your foundation and yard.
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.