Common Causes of Foundation Problems in St. Joseph
Some common reasons why St. Joseph homeowners encounter foundation troubles include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: St. Joseph has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1964. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that causes your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is vital to its stability, so it's important to work with a reliable foundation repair firm. Assess each company using the following factors:
Licensing and Experience
Missouri doesn't issue contractor licenses, but foundation repair companies must still register with the Secretary of State. Local governments often have their own licensing requirements for contractors. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how its team will draft plans and pull permits, and how the company inspects foundations.
Contractor websites are some of the best places to do your research. Usually, a business will mention how long it's been in the industry. It might also publish articles to help prospective customers.
We suggest checking the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to find out whether it's accredited and has a high customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have shared satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. You want to discover how a company handles them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has more negative reviews, and doesn't communicate properly, you should avoid working with it.
Lastly, we recommend you search different websites, such as Trustpilot and Google, for additional feedback.
Foundation Repair Cost in St. Joseph
The cost of foundation repair can range widely depending on the scale of the issues and what needs to be done to address them. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial damage, the average cost will likely fall around $3,000. More complex jobs involving digging, helical piers, or concrete leveling could cost $6,900 or more. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in St. Joseph
What will I pay to repair my foundation in St. Joseph?
What are the different types of foundations in St. Joseph?
Do St. Joseph foundation repair companies offer warranties or guarantees?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for signs of damage, and repair any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.