Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Kansas City
A home in Kansas City might experience foundation issues for multiple reasons. Some are unique to the local environment, while others are widespread nationwide. They include:
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be menacing to your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't protect.
- Aging plumbing: The average Kansas City home construction year is 1974. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't performed properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that leads to your foundation cracking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is vital to its structural integrity, so it's important to work with a trustworthy foundation repair firm. Evaluate each contractor using the following factors:
Licensing and Experience
Missouri doesn't issue contractor licenses, but foundation repair companies must still register with the Secretary of State. Local governments often have their own licensing requirements for contractors. Talk to staff to gain more insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, inspection processes and permit ordinances.
One of the easiest ways to assess a company's reputation is to browse its website. Look for the company's history and the accreditations its team holds. Many leading companies publish educational content for potential customers.
We advise examining the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to determine whether it's accredited and has a high customer review score. You can see whether other homeowners have expressed satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. BBB comments also show how companies resolve complaints. A responsive team that aims to achieve positive outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a company if you don't see clear communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Kansas City
The price of foundation repair can differ quite significantly depending on the scale of the issues and what's required to resolve them. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant deterioration, the normal cost falls at about $2,300. More involved projects involving excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $6,600. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Kansas City
How much does foundation repair cost in Kansas City?
How long does foundation repair usually take?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for signs of damage, and fix any issues immediately.
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.