Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Joplin
A few factors can contribute to foundation issues. These are the most widespread ones for Joplin residents:
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Joplin experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Aging plumbing: While many Joplin homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't performed properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation fracturing, pipes rupturing, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To select a foundation repair business, you should think about what's most important to you. Use this list of factors to help you steer the process.
Licensing and Experience
Missouri doesn't issue contractor licenses, but foundation repair companies must still register with the Secretary of State. Local governments often have their own licensing requirements for contractors. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how its team will draft plans and pull permits, what local codes apply to your project, and how the company inspects foundations.
Contractor websites are some of the best places to do your research. Usually, a company will disclose how long it's been operating. It might also share other content to help prospective customers.
Before signing a contract with a company, check its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company responds to them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate effectively, you should think twice about working with it.
Finally, we encourage you to search different websites, like Trustpilot and Google, for other reviews.
Foundation Repair Cost in Joplin
The price of foundation repair can differ quite significantly depending on the degree of the issues and what's needed to resolve them. For minor foundation cracking and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant deterioration, the typical cost is about $2,500. More intricate projects involving excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $6,700. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Joplin
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Joplin?
What's the most popular foundation type in Joplin?
When do I need to waterproof my foundation?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing drains and sump pumps or using sealants around a basement. Outdoor waterproofing is typically less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and forming physical barriers between your foundation and lawn.
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and repair any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.