Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Independence
A home in Independence might experience foundation issues for multiple reasons. Some are unique to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Aging plumbing: The average Independence home construction year is 1967. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't performed to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can threaten your foundation's integrity, especially when it gathers in areas your drainage system doesn't cover.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that leads to your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is crucial to its stability, so it's important to work with a reliable foundation repair company. Evaluate each provider using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
Missouri doesn't issue contractor licenses, but foundation repair companies must still register with the Secretary of State. Local governments often have their own licensing requirements for contractors. Talk to staff to gain additional insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local inspection processes, building codes and permit ordinances.
Contractor websites are some of the best places to do your research. Typically, a business will discuss how long it's been in the industry. It might also share other content to assist prospective customers.
We suggest reviewing the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to find out whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have reported satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is incompetent. BBB comments also show how companies handle complaints. A proactive team that aims to achieve amicable outcomes is a good one. Avoid a company if you don't see effective communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Independence
The price of foundation repair can differ quite significantly based on the extent of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation fissures and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable deterioration, the typical cost is about $2,500. More complex projects requiring digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,700+. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Independence
How much does foundation repair cost in Independence?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing sump pumps and drains or using sealants around a cellar. Exterior waterproofing is usually less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and forming physical barriers between your foundation and lawn.
How long does foundation repair usually take?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for signs of damage, and repair any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.