Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Columbia
A home in Columbia might experience foundation issues for various reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't cover.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: While many Columbia homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that results in your foundation fracturing, pipes being damaged, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each contractor on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
Missouri doesn't issue contractor licenses, but foundation repair companies must still register with the Secretary of State. Local governments often have their own licensing requirements for contractors. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through what its representatives say. Inquire about its inspection processes, local building regulations, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Another way to assess a company's standing is to examine its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade credentials. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's standing, visit its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. The BBB shows how companies address complaints. A proactive team that strives for positive outcomes is a good one. Avoid a business if you don't see clear communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Columbia
The price of foundation repair can range widely based on the severity of the issues and what needs to be fixed. For minor foundation cracking and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant damage, the normal cost lands at about $2,500. More involved projects requiring excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,700+. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Columbia
How much does foundation repair cost in Columbia?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
Do Columbia foundation repair companies offer warranties or guarantees?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.