Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Jackson
A few common reasons why Jackson homeowners deal with foundation problems include:
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Jackson experiences, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can threaten your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Aging plumbing: The average Jackson home construction year is 1973. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that causes your foundation breaking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's integrity weighs heavily on its foundation. It's important to choose the top professionals possible. Center your research on these features:
Licensing and Experience
The Mississippi State Board of Contractors licenses foundation repair companies that make money over a legal threshold. For new construction, the threshold is $50,000, and for remodeling, it is $10,000. Your foundation company will likely have a "Concrete" classification, which requires the business owner to pass a trade exam. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how its team will draft plans and pull permits, what local codes apply to your project, and how the company inspects foundations.
One of the best ways to assess a company's reputation is to explore its website. Look for the company's years in business and the qualifications its team holds. Many well-known companies publish educational content for prospective customers.
We advise reviewing the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to determine whether it's accredited and has a high customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have expressed satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company responds to them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate effectively, you should think twice about working with it.
Lastly, we recommend you search other platforms, such as Trustpilot and Google, for more opinions.
Foundation Repair Cost in Jackson
The price of foundation repair can vary substantially depending on the scale of the issues and what needs to be fixed. For minor foundation fracturing and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,700. However, if there is significant deterioration, the typical cost is about $1,900. More complex projects requiring excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,500+. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Jackson
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Jackson?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
Do Jackson foundation repair companies offer warranties or guarantees?
Do I need to leave my home for foundation repair work?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.