Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Minnetonka
A home in Minnetonka might experience foundation issues for numerous reasons. Some are unique to the local environment, while others are common nationwide. They include:
- Aging plumbing: The average Minnetonka home construction year is 1976. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can threaten your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your drainage system doesn't cover.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that causes your foundation cracking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each contractor on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
Minnesota foundation repair companies need both a residential building contractor and residential remodeler license from the Department of Labor and Industry. The former license lets a company work on new construction, while the latter allows it to modify and repair existing foundations. Business owners need to take 14 hours of continuing education to renew a license. If a contractor makes less than $15,000 from foundation work, they can apply for a Certificate of Exemption and do not need a license. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through what its representatives say. Inquire about its inspection processes, local codes, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Contractor websites are excellent places to do your research. Typically, a foundation company will disclose how long it's been operating. It might also share blog posts to help interested parties.
Before selecting a company, examine its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. You want to discover how a company manages them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate effectively, you should think twice about working with it.
Lastly, we encourage you to search additional sites, such as Trustpilot and Google, for more opinions.
Foundation Repair Cost in Minnetonka
The cost of foundation repair can differ significantly based on the degree of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant destruction, the average cost will be around $3,100. More intricate jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or major concrete leveling could run you $6,900. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Minnetonka
How much does foundation repair cost in Minnetonka?
When do I need to waterproof my foundation?
- Uneven floors
- Mold and mildew
- Discoloration or odors
- Plumbing leaks
- Hairline cracks
Is foundation repair covered under my homeowners insurance?
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with Minnetonka foundation repair services?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.