Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Brooklyn Park
A home in Brooklyn Park might experience foundation issues for numerous reasons. Some are unique to the local environment, while others are widespread nationwide. They include:
- Aging plumbing: While many Brooklyn Park homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't done to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that results in your foundation breaking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's integrity relies on its foundation. It's crucial to hire the most qualified crew possible. Focus your research on these qualities:
Licensing and Experience
Minnesota foundation repair companies need both a residential building contractor and residential remodeler license from the Department of Labor and Industry. The former license lets a company work on new construction, while the latter allows it to modify and repair existing foundations. Business owners need to take 14 hours of continuing education to renew a license. If a contractor makes less than $15,000 from foundation work, they can apply for a Certificate of Exemption and do not need a license. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the details its representatives share. Inquire about its inspection processes, local codes, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
One of the best ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to browse its website. Look for the company's years in business and the qualifications its team holds. Many leading companies provide educational content for prospective customers.
Before signing a contract with a company, examine its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. The BBB shows how companies resolve complaints. A responsive team that works toward amicable outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a company if you don't see effective communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Brooklyn Park
The price of foundation repair can differ quite significantly based on the severity of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant deterioration, the average cost falls at about $3,100. More complex projects requiring digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,900+. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Brooklyn Park
How much does foundation repair cost in Brooklyn Park?
When would I need a foundation replacement, and when could I just get a repair?
When do I need to waterproof my foundation?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing drains and sump pumps or using sealants around a cellar. Outdoor waterproofing is typically less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and creating physical barriers between your foundation and yard.
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.