Common Causes of Foundation Problems in St. Clair Shores
Foundation issues have several possible causes. Here are the most frequent ones for St. Clair Shores residents:
- Aging plumbing: St. Clair Shores has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1956. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can harm your foundation's integrity, especially when it gathers in areas your drainage system doesn't protect.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that leads to your foundation fracturing, pipes leaking, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To pick a foundation repair business, you should think about what's most important to you. Use this guide to help you steer the process.
Licensing and Experience
Michigan foundation repair companies need a Residential Builder license, a Residential Maintenance & Alteration Contractor license, or both. The state's Licensing and Regulatory Affairs department oversees new applications. It also administrates continuing education required of all contractors. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how its team will draft plans and pull permits, and how the company inspects foundations.
One of the most effective ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to visit its website. Look for how long the company has operated and the accreditations its team holds. Many prominent companies provide educational content for future customers.
When you're researching a company's standing, check out its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both positive experiences and complaints. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. BBB reviews also show how companies handle complaints. A responsive team that aims to achieve excellent outcomes is a good one. Avoid a business if you don't see good communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in St. Clair Shores
The cost of foundation repair can differ significantly based on the scale of the problems and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant destruction, the typical cost will be around $2,500. More complex jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or major concrete leveling could run you $6,700. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in St. Clair Shores
What will I pay to repair my foundation in St. Clair Shores?
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues immediately.
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.