Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Grand Rapids
Foundation issues have a few possible causes. Here are the most frequent ones for Grand Rapids residents:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't reach.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't done properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average Grand Rapids home construction year is 1969. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that causes your foundation breaking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
To select a foundation repair company, you should consider what's most important to you. Use this list of criteria to help you go through the process.
Licensing and Experience
Michigan foundation repair companies need a Residential Builder license, a Residential Maintenance & Alteration Contractor license, or both. The state's Licensing and Regulatory Affairs department oversees new applications. It also administrates continuing education required of all contractors. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the details its representatives share. Inquire about its inspection methods, local building regulations, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
One of the most effective ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to visit its website. Look for the company's history and the accreditations its team holds. Many top companies provide educational content for prospective customers.
When you're researching a company's standing, visit its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both positive experiences and complaints. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. You want to discover how a company manages them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate effectively, you should avoid working with it.
Finally, we recommend you search additional sites, including Trustpilot and Google, for additional feedback.
Foundation Repair Cost in Grand Rapids
The cost of foundation repair can range quite widely based on the extent of the problems and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation cracking and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant deterioration, the average cost will be around $2,900. More intricate jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or major concrete leveling could run you $6,900. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Grand Rapids
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Grand Rapids?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
What's the most popular foundation type in Grand Rapids?
Do I need to leave my home for foundation repair work?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.