Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different types of air conditioners on the Dearborn market. While HVAC contractors can work with most types, knowing which one you have will ease your company research.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, higher energy efficiency, and flexible installation options.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide peaceful operation, improved energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Dearborn apartments, condos, and townhomes. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users set up their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're preferred for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
How to Choose Your Dearborn AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should carefully investigate what's out there before committing to a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the best company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
Michigan HVAC companies need a Mechanical License to work in the state. A business owner must have three years of experience and pass an exam for each HVAC specialty they'd like to offer.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes businesses that respond to complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair businesses to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a provider if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different providers for the best value. A good estimate should include additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about manufacturer warranties, the emergency repair process, and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Dearborn
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Dearborn?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How do I know if my air conditioning system needs repair?
What month is best for getting an air conditioner replaced?
Why is my AC running but not cooling?
Why should I hire an HVAC professional? Couldn't I repair my air conditioner myself?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.