Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Dearborn Heights
A home in Dearborn Heights might experience foundation issues for a variety of reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are widespread nationwide. They include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: Dearborn Heights has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1958. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't cover.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation provider doesn't have to be difficult. We encourage you to jot down what you want most in a company, then evaluate each company on your shortlist against these attributes.
Licensing and Experience
Michigan foundation repair companies need a Residential Builder license, a Residential Maintenance & Alteration Contractor license, or both. The state's Licensing and Regulatory Affairs department oversees new applications. It also administrates continuing education required of all contractors. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how the company inspects foundations, and how its team will draft plans and pull permits.
One of the simplest ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to visit its website. Look for how long the company has operated and what credentials its team holds. Many leading companies offer educational content for future customers.
When you're researching a company's credibility, go to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company responds to them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate well, you should think twice about working with it.
Lastly, we recommend you search other platforms, such as Trustpilot and Google, for additional feedback.
Foundation Repair Cost in Dearborn Heights
The price of foundation repair can vary substantially depending on the scale of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation fracturing and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant deterioration, the normal cost is about $2,900. More involved projects requiring digging, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,800+. This table shows the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Dearborn Heights
How much does foundation repair cost in Dearborn Heights?
What are the different types of foundations in Dearborn Heights?
Is foundation repair covered under my homeowners insurance?
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.