Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Worcester
Foundation issues have multiple possible causes. Here are the top ones for Worcester residents:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Worcester receives, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Aging plumbing: Worcester has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1960. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can threaten your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't protect.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that causes your foundation fracturing, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation repair company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each contractor on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
According to the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation, foundation repair companies need at least a Home Improvement Contractor license to work in the commonwealth. For larger jobs and work that requires subcontracting, they'll also need a Construction Supervisor's License. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how the company inspects foundations, how its team will draft plans and pull permits, and what local codes apply to your project.
Another way to measure a company's credibility is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade qualifications. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's reputation, visit its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both positive experiences and complaints. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company manages them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate properly, you should avoid working with it.
Finally, we recommend you search other platforms, like Trustpilot and Google, for other reviews.
Foundation Repair Cost in Worcester
The cost of foundation repair can differ significantly based on the degree of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation fracturing and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant deterioration, the typical cost will be around $2,900. More complex jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $6,900. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Worcester
How much does foundation repair cost in Worcester?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
- Mold and mildew
- Hairline cracks
- Discoloration or odors
- Plumbing leaks
- Uneven floors
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with Worcester foundation repair services?
Do I need to leave my home for foundation repair work?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.