Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Waltham
A home in Waltham might experience foundation issues for various reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Waltham experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Standing water: Standing water around your home can be menacing to your foundation, especially when it collects in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Aging plumbing: Waltham has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1959. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through crevices, and may apply force that results in your foundation fracturing, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation repair company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each provider on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
According to the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation, foundation repair companies need at least a Home Improvement Contractor license to work in the commonwealth. For larger jobs and work that requires subcontracting, they'll also need a Construction Supervisor's License. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about what local codes apply to your project, how the company inspects foundations, and how its team will draft plans and pull permits.
One of the simplest ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to browse its website. Look for how long the company has operated and what credentials its team holds. Many well-known companies offer educational content for prospective customers.
When you're researching a company's reputation, visit its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company manages them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate properly, you should think twice about working with it.
Lastly, we encourage you to search other platforms, including Trustpilot and Google, for more opinions.
Foundation Repair Cost in Waltham
The price of foundation repair can vary substantially depending on the extent of the issues and what's needed to resolve them. For minor foundation cracking and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is considerable damage, the typical cost is about $3,400. More complex projects involving excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost upwards of $7,000. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Waltham
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Waltham?
What's the most popular foundation type in Waltham?
Will my homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.