Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Malden
Foundation issues have several possible causes. Here are the most frequent ones for Malden residents:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't done to standard could lead to your foundation settling.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Malden experiences, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Aging plumbing: Malden has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1941. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may create stress that causes your foundation breaking, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation company doesn't have to be complicated. We encourage you to write down what you desire most in a company, then evaluate each contractor on your shortlist against these attributes.
Licensing and Experience
According to the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation, foundation repair companies need at least a Home Improvement Contractor license to work in the commonwealth. For larger jobs and work that requires subcontracting, they'll also need a Construction Supervisor's License. Talk to staff to gain more insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, permit ordinances and inspection processes.
Another way to determine a company's reputation is to examine its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade accreditations. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's reputation, head to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company responds to them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate well, you should avoid working with it.
Lastly, we recommend you search other platforms, like Trustpilot and Google, for additional feedback.
Foundation Repair Cost in Malden
The cost of foundation repair can vary quite a bit depending on the extent of the issues and what needs to be done to resolve them. For minor foundation cracking and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is considerable deterioration, the average cost will likely fall around $3,400. More complex jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $7,000 or more. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Malden
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Malden?
When do I need to waterproof my foundation?
- Mold and mildew
- Discoloration or odors
- Uneven floors
- Hairline cracks
- Plumbing leaks
How long does foundation repair usually take?
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.