Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different kinds of air conditioners on the Lowell market. While HVAC professionals can work with most types, knowing which one you have will simplify your company hunt.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Lowell condos, apartments, and townhomes. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're preferred for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They offer silent operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, higher energy efficiency, and flexible installation options.
How to Choose Your Lowell AC Repair Service
You likely want a swift resolution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before engaging with a repair company, it's important to take the time to research if they're ideal for your dwelling. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The Massachusetts Office of Public Safety and Inspections issues Refrigeration Technician licenses to crew members and Refrigeration Contractor licenses to business owners. Each crew member must meet specific hour requirements for training and practical experience. They must also carry a high school diploma/GED and Universal CFC certification to apply.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits businesses that resolve complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair businesses to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a provider if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different providers for the best value. A good estimate should include additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about the emergency repair process, installer guarantees, and manufacturer warranties.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Lowell
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Lowell?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Common Repair||Average Cost|
|Clogged air filter||$105–$253|
|Frozen condenser coils||$352–$1411|
|Fan or air blower issues||$634–$917|