Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Chelsea
A home in Chelsea might experience foundation issues for various reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are widespread nationwide. They include:
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Chelsea receives, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't completed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average Chelsea home construction year is 1975. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through crevices, and may apply force that leads to your foundation breaking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each contractor on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
According to the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation, foundation repair companies need at least a Home Improvement Contractor license to work in the commonwealth. For larger jobs and work that requires subcontracting, they'll also need a Construction Supervisor's License. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how its team will draft plans and pull permits, what local codes apply to your project, and how the company inspects foundations.
Contractor websites are excellent places to do your research. Usually, a foundation company will mention how long it's been in business. It might also upload blog posts to help prospective customers.
Before committing to a company, examine its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Remember that negative feedback doesn't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. The BBB shows how companies resolve complaints. A responsive team that works toward positive outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a company if you don't see clear communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Chelsea
The price of foundation repair can range widely depending on the severity of the issues and what must be fixed. For minor foundation fracturing and settling concerns, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial damage, the typical cost lands at about $3,000. More intricate projects requiring excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,900+. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Chelsea
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Chelsea?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
- Hairline cracks
- Uneven floors
- Plumbing leaks
- Discoloration or odors
- Mold and mildew
Will my homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.