Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Cambridge
Some frequent reasons why Cambridge homeowners deal with foundation troubles include:
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Aging plumbing: The average Cambridge home construction year is 1974. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Cambridge experiences, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction stresses nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't completed properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that results in your foundation cracking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is vital to its stability, so it's important to work with a reliable foundation repair contractor. Evaluate each company using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
According to the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation, foundation repair companies need at least a Home Improvement Contractor license to work in the commonwealth. For larger jobs and work that requires subcontracting, they'll also need a Construction Supervisor's License. Talk to representatives to gain additional insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local permit ordinances, building codes and inspection processes.
Another way to measure a company's standing is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade accreditations. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before selecting a company, review its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Complaints don't mean a contractor is bad news. BBB reviews show how the company handled complaints. It's a good sign if the company has fixed issues favorably and proactively. You should stay away from a company with many negative reviews, no credentials, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Cambridge
The cost of foundation repair can differ significantly depending on the severity of the issues and what needs to be done to address them. For minor foundation fractures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,900. However, if there is more significant deterioration, the average cost will likely fall around $3,400. More complex jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $7,000 or more. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Cambridge
How much does foundation repair cost in Cambridge?
When do I need to waterproof my foundation?
- Uneven floors
- Hairline cracks
- Mold and mildew
- Discoloration or odors
- Plumbing leaks
What's the time to complete a typical foundation repair job?
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.