Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Brookline
Some frequent reasons why Brookline homeowners deal with foundation issues include:
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Brookline gets, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction stresses nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be menacing to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your drainage system doesn't reach.
- Aging plumbing: Brookline has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1958. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through crevices, and may exert pressure that results in your foundation breaking, pipes rupturing, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's structural integrity weighs heavily on its foundation. It's essential to select the top professionals possible. Focus your research on these characteristics:
Licensing and Experience
According to the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation, foundation repair companies need at least a Home Improvement Contractor license to work in the commonwealth. For larger jobs and work that requires subcontracting, they'll also need a Construction Supervisor's License. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the details its representatives share. Ask about its inspection methods, local code requirements, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Another way to evaluate a company's standing is to look at its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade qualifications. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before committing to a company, check its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Complaints don't mean a contractor is unreliable. BBB reviews show how the company addressed complaints. It's a good sign if the company has resolved issues proactively and appropriately. You should avoid a company with many negative reviews, no certifications, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Brookline
The cost of foundation repair can differ significantly based on the extent of the problems and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation fissuring and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is significant destruction, the normal cost will be around $3,000. More intricate jobs involving excavation, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $6,900. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Brookline
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Brookline?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
What are the different types of foundations in Brookline?
When do I need to waterproof my foundation?
- Mold and mildew
- Discoloration or odors
- Hairline cracks
- Plumbing leaks
- Uneven floors
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.