Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Boston
A few factors can contribute to foundation issues. These are the most prevalent ones for Boston residents:
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can threaten your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't reach.
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't performed properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plunge, topsoil freezes rapidly and lower layers can't expand, forcing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Boston receives, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can intrude into a home's foundation through cracks, and may exert pressure that leads to your foundation fracturing, pipes being damaged, and overall structural deterioration.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is crucial to its structural integrity, so it's important to work with a top-notch foundation repair firm. Assess each provider using the following factors:
Licensing and Experience
According to the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation, foundation repair companies need at least a Home Improvement Contractor license to work in the commonwealth. For larger jobs and work that requires subcontracting, they'll also need a Construction Supervisor's License. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how the company inspects foundations, what local codes apply to your project, and how its team will draft plans and pull permits.
Another way to determine a company's reputation is to check its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade qualifications. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
Before selecting a company, examine its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both complaints and positive reviews. Complaints don't mean a contractor is bad news. BBB reviews show how the company handled complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has resolved issues appropriately and proactively. You should stay away from a company with more negative reviews, no credentials, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Boston
The cost of foundation repair can vary quite a bit depending on the scale of the issues and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation fractures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is more significant damage, the average cost will likely fall around $3,000. More complex jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or concrete leveling could cost $6,900 or more. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Boston
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Boston?
Will my homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
Do Boston foundation repair companies offer warranties or guarantees?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.