Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner models, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll describe each of the common AC units.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Silver Spring condos, apartments, and townhomes. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide quiet operation, greater energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, flexible installation options, and higher energy efficiency.
How to Choose Your Silver Spring AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should do some essential research before hiring a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the top-rated company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
Maryland HVAC contractors need licensure from the Board of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors. A master license requires three years of journeyman experience, 1,875 hours of HVAC work performed in the last year, and a comprehensive trade exam.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Check customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes contractors that respond to complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a business if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We suggest getting three or more estimates to find the best value. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about permitting fees, manufacturer warranties, emergency repair availability and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Silver Spring
What's the cost of an AC repair job in Silver Spring?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
Does my air conditioner need routine maintenance? If so, how often?
When is the best time to replace an AC unit?
Why is my AC running but not cooling?
Is hiring an HVAC company better than doing the repair on my own?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.