Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner varieties, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll explain each of the common AC types.
- Window-mounted ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Owings Mills apartments, condos, and townhomes. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling single rooms and small spaces, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're preferred for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They provide peaceful operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, flexible installation options, and higher energy efficiency.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools and purifies outside air and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
How to Choose Your Owings Mills AC Repair Service
You likely want a quick solution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before recruiting a repair company, it's important to do careful research to ensure it's the best for your home. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
Maryland HVAC contractors need licensure from the Board of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors. A master license requires three years of journeyman experience, 1,875 hours of HVAC work performed in the last year, and a comprehensive trade exam.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Find customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes businesses that resolve complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different companies for the best value. A good estimate should factor in additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about installer guarantees, manufacturer warranties, and the emergency repair process.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Owings Mills
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Owings Mills?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How often should Owings Mills homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
When is the best time to replace an AC unit?
How many years until I should replace my AC unit?
Should my HVAC company have a private accreditation?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.