Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different varieties of air conditioners on the Gaithersburg market. While HVAC technicians can work with most types, knowing which one you have will ease your company research.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Gaithersburg apartments, condos, and townhomes. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer individual room temperature control, flexible installation options, and higher energy efficiency.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They provide quiet operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're popular for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
How to Choose Your Gaithersburg AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should do your research before signing a contract with a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the top-rated company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
Maryland HVAC contractors need licensure from the Board of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors. A master license requires three years of journeyman experience, 1,875 hours of HVAC work performed in the last year, and a comprehensive trade exam.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Read customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes contractors that handle complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair companies to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We recommend getting at least three different quotes to find the best pricing and offerings. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about manufacturer warranties, installer guarantees, emergency repair availability and permitting fees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Gaithersburg
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Gaithersburg?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
What are some signs that I should call an HVAC repair company?
Why should I hire an HVAC professional? Couldn't I repair my air conditioner myself?
How many years until I should replace my AC unit?
How quickly can an HVAC company in Gaithersburg respond to emergency repair requests?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.