Common Types of Air Conditioners
HVAC technicians have the expertise to service most air conditioner models, but knowing more about what you have can be beneficial. Below, we'll explain each of the common AC models.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering precise, consistent temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to various rooms in your home.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, flexible installation options, and individual room temperature control.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Dundalk townhomes, apartments, and condos. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users deploy their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They provide silent operation, greater energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
How to Choose Your Dundalk AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should carefully investigate what's out there before hiring a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the most reliable company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
Maryland HVAC contractors need licensure from the Board of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors. A master license requires three years of journeyman experience, 1,875 hours of HVAC work performed in the last year, and a comprehensive trade exam.
You should also verify a company has sufficient liability insurance coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if mishaps arise during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Read customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits businesses that handle complaints effectively and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different companies for the best value. A good estimate should consider additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about installer guarantees, manufacturer warranties, and the emergency repair process.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Dundalk
What's the cost of an AC repair job in Dundalk?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
How often should Dundalk homeowners have their AC systems serviced?
What month is best for getting an air conditioner replaced?
What do I do if my AC is running but not cooling?
Is hiring an HVAC company better than doing the repair on my own?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.