Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Columbia
Some frequent reasons why Columbia homeowners experience foundation problems include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't done properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Standing water: Water accumulation around your home can threaten your foundation's integrity, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't cover.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Columbia receives, the soil absorbs moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction stresses nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Aging plumbing: While many Columbia homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may create stress that causes your foundation fracturing, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is crucial to its stability, so it's important to work with a reliable foundation repair provider. Evaluate each firm using the following factors:
Licensing and Experience
In Maryland, the state Department of Labor licenses all foundation repair companies. There are strict requirements to get and keep a license. Business owners must have two years of industry experience, pass a trade exam, submit business filings and proof of insurance, and clear a financial audit. Subcontractors working your foundation job don't need a license if they're working for a licensed contractor. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the information its team gives you. Ask about its inspection methods, local code requirements, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Contractor websites are excellent places to do your research. Typically, a business will mention how long it's been in business. It might also share articles to assist prospective customers.
We recommend examining the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to find out whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can see whether other homeowners have expressed satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. BBB comments also show how companies address complaints. A responsive team that works toward amicable outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a company if you don't see good communication about problems.
Foundation Repair Cost in Columbia
The cost of foundation repair can range widely depending on the scale of the issues and what needs to be done to fix them. For minor foundation fissures and settling issues, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial damage, the average cost will likely fall around $2,900. More complex jobs involving tunneling, helical piers, or concrete leveling could cost $6,900 or more. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Columbia
How much does foundation repair cost in Columbia?
What's the most popular foundation type in Columbia?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for signs of damage, and fix any issues promptly.
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.