Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Clinton
A home in Clinton might experience foundation issues for numerous reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are common nationwide. They include:
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't done to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average Clinton home construction year is 1976. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Soil composition: Soil with large sand or clay concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Clinton gets, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction presses against nearby foundations, even if the foundations keep dry.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be a menace to your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutters don't protect.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through crevices, and may create stress that leads to your foundation breaking, pipes being damaged, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's structural integrity relies on its foundation. It's essential to hire the best team possible. Center your research on these features:
Licensing and Experience
In Maryland, the state Department of Labor licenses all foundation repair companies. There are strict requirements to get and keep a license. Business owners must have two years of industry experience, pass a trade exam, submit business filings and proof of insurance, and clear a financial audit. Subcontractors working your foundation job don't need a license if they're working for a licensed contractor. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through what its representatives say. Ask about its inspection methods, local building regulations, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
Contractor websites are excellent places to do your research. Usually, a company will display how long it's been operating. It might also publish articles to assist potential clients.
When you're researching a company's reputation, head to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its rating and a list of customer reviews, both positive experiences and complaints. Negative feedback doesn't mean a contractor is bad news. BBB reviews show how the company addressed complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has settled issues proactively and favorably. You should steer clear of a company with more negative reviews, no accreditation, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Clinton
The price of foundation repair can range widely depending on the severity of the issues and what needs to be fixed. For minor foundation fissures and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is substantial deterioration, the normal cost is about $2,800. More involved projects requiring excavating, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,800+. See below the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Clinton
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Clinton?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
What's the most popular foundation type in Clinton?
How long does foundation repair usually take?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.