Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different kinds of air conditioners on the Bel Air South market. While HVAC contractors can work with most types, knowing which one you have will ease your company research.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name suggests, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer flexible installation options, individual room temperature control, and higher energy efficiency.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Bel Air South townhomes, apartments, and condos. These compact, affordable units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one inside and one outside. They offer peaceful operation, greater energy efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
How to Choose Your Bel Air South AC Repair Service
You likely want a quick solution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before recruiting a repair company, it's important to take the time to research if they're ideal for your dwelling. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
Maryland HVAC contractors need licensure from the Board of Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVACR) Contractors. A master license requires three years of journeyman experience, 1,875 hours of HVAC work performed in the last year, and a comprehensive trade exam.
You should also check a company has sufficient liability coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if something gets damaged during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Read customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits contractors that handle complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's normal for even the best AC repair businesses to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
We recommend getting at least three different estimates to find the best cost and services. Get a written copy of each quote, and learn more about emergency repair availability, manufacturer warranties, permitting fees and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Bel Air South
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Bel Air South?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
Does my air conditioner need routine maintenance? If so, how often?
When is the best time to replace an AC unit?
Is hiring an HVAC company better than doing the repair on my own?
What industry certifications should I look for when researching Bel Air South AC repair companies?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.