Types of Services Offered by Electricians
Electricians provide services that cover a variety of electrical problems. Here is a rundown of the services homeowners request the most.
Electrical System Installation
Installing an electrical system in a home is a complex process. The contractor assesses your home's energy requirements and lays out the wiring. They choose the appropriate cables, conduits, and light fixtures that follow regulations and industry standards. The final steps are connecting the main panel, distributing circuits to the outlets and fixtures, grounding the system for safety, and installing protective devices, such as circuit breakers.
Electrical repairs shouldn't be dismissed. You should address malfunctioning fixtures, power outages, or faulty wiring as soon as possible to avoid injury or electrical fires. Skilled electricians can detect the problem and repair it.
Whole-House Rewiring and Panel Upgrades
Older homes with outdated, unsafe electrical systems that can't meet today's standards often require a complete upgrade of the entire house. Electricians assess the existing wiring to find hazards, then they take out old wiring and update the system with switches, panels, outlets, and fixtures that align with existing codes and safety standards.
Professional surge protection shields your electrical system and valuable devices from the harmful effects of power surges. After evaluating your system requirements, electricians will install surge protection devices that redirect excess energy away from delicate equipment during voltage spikes. Having surge protectors professionally installed in key spots, like the main panel or individual outlets, ensures electrical damage doesn't happen.
Emergency Electrical Services
Emergency electrical services are crucial when you have sudden glitches or disruptions. These 24/7 services provide fast help to solve the issue. Emergency services include addressing weather damage, electrical fires, power outages, and faulty wiring. Professional emergency electrical services offer peace of mind and a swift fix.
Factors To Consider When Choosing an Electrician in Baltimore
These important factors can help you decide on an electrician in Baltimore.
- Cost: Although cost is an important factor, it shouldn't be the only consideration. Choose an electrician who's transparent about their pricing and provides a detailed estimate before starting the work.
- References: Ask the electrician for references, so you can get direct feedback about the electrician's work.
- Reputation and reviews: Check sites such as the Better Business Bureau and Google Reviews for information on the electrician's customer service. Choose a licensed electrician with a reputation for good customer service.
- Safety measures: Hire an electrician who puts safety first and employs safety measures to prevent accidents and injuries. Request information on their safety program and ensure they use proper gear. If you observe an electrician working too quickly or carelessly, you may want to cancel service and look for somebody else.
- Qualifications: Choose an electrician who’s licensed, insured, and bonded. These qualifications indicate that they have the proper training to perform electrical work safely and effectively. You can visit the Maryland State Board of Master Electricians to learn more about what licenses must have in the state.
How Much Does an Electrician Cost?
Several factors affect the cost of hiring an electrician, such as the electrician’s experience and qualifications, the project’s complexity, your location, and the specific services required. You may pay anywhere from $140 to $280 for most small to medium projects. Most electricians charge $37–$55 an hour in Baltimore. We recommend getting several quotes and discussing the project details with the electrician to help get the most accurate price.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Electrical Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Electrical in Baltimore
How often should I have my electrical system inspected?
How can I tell if my home's electrical system needs an upgrade?
What causes circuit breakers to trip repeatedly?
Can I negotiate the cost of an electrician's services?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.