Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Baton Rouge
A few frequent reasons why Baton Rouge homeowners face foundation issues include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average Baton Rouge home construction year is 1978. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leakage could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Soil composition: Soil with large clay or sand concentrations is highly expansive. In the heavy rainfall Baton Rouge receives, the soil soaks up moisture like a sponge, then releases it in dry seasons. The constant expansion and contraction puts pressure on nearby foundations, even if the foundations stay dry.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can encroach on a home's foundation through cracks, and may create stress that leads to your foundation fracturing, pipes leaking, and overall structural weakening.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is essential to its stability, so it's important to work with a top-notch foundation repair provider. Evaluate each company using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
While Louisiana issues state contracting licenses, they're not required for every foundation repair job. To perform work between $7,500 and $75,000 in value, a contractor must apply for a Home Improvement license. More expensive jobs require a Residential license. You can also get a sense of a company's experience through the information its team gives you. Ask about its inspection methods, local building regulations, permit-pulling procedures, and fees.
One of the easiest ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to browse its website. Look for the company's history and the accreditations its team holds. Many leading companies publish educational content for future customers.
We advise checking the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to find out whether it's accredited and has a good customer review score. You can see whether other homeowners have shared satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company handles them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has more negative reviews, and doesn't communicate well, you should avoid working with it.
Lastly, we recommend you search different websites, including Trustpilot and Google, for additional feedback.
Foundation Repair Cost in Baton Rouge
The cost of foundation repair can range quite widely based on the extent of the problems and what must be done to fix them. For minor foundation fracturing and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable damage, the average cost will be around $2,800. More complex jobs involving digging, helical piers, or extensive concrete leveling could run you $6,800. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Baton Rouge
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Baton Rouge?
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with Baton Rouge foundation repair services?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for signs of damage, and fix any issues immediately.
What are some "red flags" indicating a foundation company to avoid?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.