Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Topeka
A home in Topeka might experience foundation issues for a variety of reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are widespread nationwide. They include:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't completed properly could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: The average Topeka home construction year is 1972. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can threaten your foundation, especially when it gathers in areas your gutter system doesn't reach.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Your home's foundation is crucial to its stability, so it's important to work with a trustworthy foundation repair contractor. Evaluate each company using the following criteria:
Licensing and Experience
Kansas is one of many states that don't issue contracting licenses. Instead, cities and counties have the authority to license and regulate contractors. To learn more about specific foundation repair company qualifications where you live, contact your local building department. Talk to team members to gain further insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local building codes, permit ordinances and inspection processes.
One of the most effective ways to evaluate a company's reputation is to browse its website. Look for how long the company has operated and what credentials its team holds. Many leading companies provide educational content for future customers.
Before selecting a company, review its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company handles them. If the management team consistently and proactively resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, shows more negative reviews than positive ones, and doesn't communicate well, you should avoid working with it.
Lastly, we suggest you search different websites, like Trustpilot and Google, for other reviews.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Topeka
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Topeka?
What are some signs I need foundation waterproofing?
Note that there are two kinds of waterproofing. Interior waterproofing involves installing drains and sump pumps or using sealants around a crawlspace. Outdoor waterproofing is generally less expensive. It involves installing exterior drains and creating physical barriers between your foundation and lawn.
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Make sure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Water the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to angle away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and minimizing the risk of foundation issues.
- Check your foundation for cracks, and fix any issues immediately.
Are there telltale signs I should avoid a particular foundation company?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.