Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Overland Park
A few factors can contribute to foundation issues. These are the most prevalent ones for Overland Park residents:
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't performed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Aging plumbing: While many Overland Park homes are fairly new, some still use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start eroding, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be menacing to your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your gutters don't reach.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation contractor doesn't have to be complicated. We encourage you to jot down what you expect most in a company, then evaluate each provider on your list against these qualities.
Licensing and Experience
Kansas is one of many states that don't issue contracting licenses. Instead, cities and counties have the authority to license and regulate contractors. To learn more about specific foundation repair company qualifications where you live, contact your local building department. To further understand your contractor's experience, we recommend asking questions about how the company inspects foundations, what local codes apply to your project, and how its team will draft plans and pull permits.
Another way to determine a company's reputation is to look at its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade credentials. It might also share insights and knowledge through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
We suggest looking into the company's Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile to see whether it's accredited and has a positive customer review score. You can check whether other homeowners have shared satisfaction or filed complaints. Pay special attention to what customers say about company warranties. Remember that complaints don't necessarily mean a contractor is unqualified. The BBB shows how companies address complaints. A proactive team that aims to achieve positive outcomes is a good one. Don't work with a contractor if you don't see good communication about problems.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Overland Park
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Overland Park?
How long does foundation repair usually take?
Is foundation repair covered under my homeowners insurance?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are properly installed and direct water away from your foundation to avoid water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation consistently, especially during dry spells, to prevent expansion and shrinking.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, encouraging water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Keep an eye on your foundation for signs of damage, and repair any issues promptly.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.