Common Types of Air Conditioners
There are a few different types of air conditioners on the Manhattan market. While HVAC technicians can work with most types, knowing which one you have will streamline your company search.
- Central AC: These are the most common home air conditioners, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an exterior unit and multiple interior units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, flexible installation options, and individual room temperature control.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for Manhattan condos, apartments, and townhomes. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users set up their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They offer peaceful operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name implies, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for apartments, condos, or individual rooms.
How to Choose Your Manhattan AC Repair Service
You likely want a swift resolution for your air conditioner's problem. However, before recruiting a repair company, it's important to do careful research to ensure it's the best for your home. Here are a few essential steps to follow.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
The Kansas government doesn't require individual or company licenses for HVAC technicians. However, this doesn't stop local governments from mandating licensure in their own jurisdictions. To learn more about requirements where you live, contact your local government.
Many states and cities also require companies to carry liability insurance. Even if your community doesn't require it, we still recommend choosing an insured company. This will protect you if an accident happens or something gets damaged.
Read Customer Reviews
Read customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB accredits businesses that handle complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair providers to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a business if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different companies for the best value. A good estimate should include additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about manufacturer warranties, the emergency repair process, and installer guarantees.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in Manhattan
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in Manhattan?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
What are some signs that I should call an HVAC repair company?
What do I do if my AC is running but not cooling?
Should my HVAC company have a private accreditation?
How quickly can an HVAC company in Manhattan respond to emergency repair requests?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.