Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Lawrence
A few factors can lead to foundation issues. These are the most common ones for Lawrence residents:
- Improper modifications: Roofing or landscaping work that wasn't performed to standard could result in your foundation settling.
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be a menace to your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your drainage system doesn't cover.
- Aging plumbing: The average Lawrence home construction year is 1981. If you live in an older home, it's likely to have cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
Choosing a foundation company doesn't have to be difficult. We encourage you to write down what you want most in a contractor, then evaluate each contractor on your list against these attributes.
Licensing and Experience
Kansas is one of many states that don't issue contracting licenses. Instead, cities and counties have the authority to license and regulate contractors. To learn more about specific foundation repair company qualifications where you live, contact your local building department. Talk to representatives to gain more insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local inspection processes, permit ordinances and building codes.
Another way to gauge a company's reputation is to examine its website. There, you can learn how long it's been in business and its trade accreditations. It might also share knowledge and insights through blog posts, podcasts, or videos.
When you're researching a company's reputation, head to its Better Business Bureau (BBB) profile. There, you can find its "letter grade" rating and a list of customer reviews, both complaints and positive experiences. Complaints aren't necessarily a red flag in themselves. Instead, discover how a company manages them. If the management team proactively and consistently resolves issues, it's a good sign. However, if the company lacks accreditation, has an abundance of negative feedback, and doesn't communicate effectively, you should think twice about working with it.
Finally, we recommend you search other platforms, including Trustpilot and Google, for more opinions.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Lawrence
What will I pay to repair my foundation in Lawrence?
Can a foundation always be fixed?
How long does foundation repair usually take?
What preventive measures can I take to avoid foundation issues?
- Ensure your home's gutters and downspouts are in good condition and direct water away from your foundation to prevent water accumulation.
- Irrigate the soil around your foundation evenly, especially during dry spells, to prevent shrinking and expansion.
- If possible, grade the soil around your home to slope away from your foundation, promoting water drainage and reducing the risk of foundation issues.
- Inspect your foundation for signs of damage, and address any issues immediately.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.