Common Types of Air Conditioners
By understanding which type of air conditioner you have, you'll feel more confident in your contractor search. West Des Moines HVAC contractors have experience with different AC makes and models, and they can adapt their skills to your needs.
- Portable air conditioners: As the name hints, portable ACs don't require permanent installation or ductwork. Instead, they remove hot air through an exhaust hose connected to a window or nearby vent. They're a common choice for condos, apartments, or individual rooms.
- Central AC: These are the most common residential AC systems, offering consistent, precise temperature control. They feature a central unit that cools air from outside, purifies it, and sends it through ducts to different rooms in your home.
- Ductless mini-split: Ductless mini-splits have an outdoor unit and one or more indoor units, with no ductwork required. They offer higher energy efficiency, flexible installation options, and individual room temperature control.
- Split ACs: Split ACs have two main elements: one indoors and one outdoors. They provide quiet operation, enhanced efficiency, ductwork options, and more cooling capability versus mini-splits.
- Window ACs: Window air conditioners are a popular choice for West Des Moines apartments, townhomes, and condos. These budget-friendly, convenient units are designed for cooling small spaces and single rooms, and they fit snugly in a window frame or dedicated wall slot. Many window-mounted AC users install their units without professional assistance, though technicians can still help with maintenance and repairs.
How to Choose Your West Des Moines AC Repair Service
While you might want to resolve your AC issue quickly, you should do some essential research before hiring a repair service. Take the following steps to ensure you find the most suitable company for your home.
Confirm the Company Is Properly Licensed and Insured
Iowa's Plumbing & Mechanical Systems Board licenses sheet metal, refrigeration, hydronic, and HVAC contractors. Apprentices, journeymen, and master technicians need individual licenses, but "helpers" under a journeyman or master do not.
You should also verify a company has sufficient liability insurance coverage, even if your state doesn't require it. Choosing an insured company will protect you if mishaps arise during work.
Read Customer Reviews
Find customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website for each company you're interested in. The BBB recognizes businesses that resolve complaints professionally and honor their warranties.
It's common for even the best AC repair companies to have both positive and negative reviews. Read each one carefully, and avoid a company if most reviewers had subpar experiences.
Obtain at least three detailed, written estimates from different providers for the best value. A good estimate should factor in additional fees such as permitting costs. You should also ask about manufacturer warranties, installer guarantees, and the emergency repair process.
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Hvac Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About AC Repair in West Des Moines
How much can I expect to pay for AC repair in West Des Moines?
See the average costs for common AC repairs below.
|Clogged air filter
|Frozen condenser coils
|Fan or air blower issues
Does my air conditioner need routine maintenance? If so, how often?
When is the best time to replace an AC unit?
How long is my air conditioner's lifespan? When should I consider a replacement?
How quickly can an HVAC company in West Des Moines respond to emergency repair requests?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.