Common Causes of Foundation Problems in Waterloo
A home in Waterloo might experience foundation issues for various reasons. Some are specific to the local environment, while others are prevalent nationwide. They include:
- Standing water: Pooling water around your home can be a menace to your foundation's integrity, especially when it collects in areas your gutter system doesn't protect.
- Topsoil Frost: When temperatures plummet, topsoil abruptly ices over and lower layers can't expand, pushing upper layers to heave and permanently damage infrastructure.
- Aging plumbing: Waterloo has its fair share of older homes, with a median building year of 1963. Many of these properties use cast-iron plumbing. When the pipes start to erode, leaking water could reach your foundation and even pool beneath it.
- Improper modifications: Landscaping or roofing work that wasn't completed properly could lead to your foundation settling.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can enter a home's foundation through cracks, and may apply force that results in your foundation fracturing, pipes rupturing, and overall structural destabilization.
How to Choose the Best Foundation Repair Company
When choosing a foundation repair company, you should consider your personal priorities. Ask each company on your list about the following qualities.
Licensing and Experience
If an Iowa foundation company makes more than $2,000 per year, it must register with the state's Division of Labor. Registration doesn't require exams or continuing education. All it proves is that a company holds insurance and pays state taxes. However, cities in the Hawkeye State might still require licenses or practical training for foundation companies. Talk to team members to gain additional insight into a company's experience. You should ask about local inspection processes, building codes and permit ordinances.
Contractor websites are excellent places to do your research. Typically, a foundation company will display how long it's been in the industry. It might also upload articles to help prospective customers.
Before selecting a company, review its online profile with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). You can examine both positive reviews and complaints. Complaints don't mean a contractor is bad news. BBB reviews show how the company addressed complaints. It's a positive sign if the company has settled issues proactively and appropriately. You should steer clear of a company with numerous negative reviews, no accreditation, and no communication regarding issues.
Foundation Repair Cost in Waterloo
The price of foundation repair can range widely depending on the scale of the issues and what needs to be fixed. For minor foundation fracturing and settling problems, you may pay as little as $1,800. However, if there is considerable deterioration, the average cost falls at about $2,600. More complex projects requiring tunneling, helical piers, or major mudjacking could cost $6,800+. Below are the average foundation repair costs for common issues.
|Common Foundation Repair Services
Ready to Get a Quote on Your Foundation Repair Project?
Frequently Asked Questions About Foundation Repair in Waterloo
How much does foundation repair cost in Waterloo?
How long does foundation repair usually take?
Will my homeowners insurance cover foundation repair?
Are there any warranties or guarantees provided with Waterloo foundation repair services?
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.